Researchers at the University of Rochester may have discovered the holy grail to creating Invisibility Cloaks ($TBA). The system they've developed is an optical system that hides objects in the visible spectrum of light. The device is made up of four lenses, separated by a precise distance, in order to cloak an object that passes behind it while leaving the background undisturbed. The cool thing is that you can build your own cloaking device just by following the directions below. 1. Purchase 2 sets of 2 lenses with different focal lengths f1 and f2 (4 lenses total, 2 with f1 focal length, and 2 with f2 focal length) 2. Separate the first 2 lenses by the sum of their focal lengths (So f1 lens is the first lens, f2 is the 2nd lens, and they are separated byt1= f1+ f2). 3. Do the same in Step 2 for the other two lenses. 4. Separate the two sets by t2=2 f2 (f1+ f2) / (f1— f2) apart, so that the two f2 lenses are t2 apart.
Car, Microbrewery, Car, Microbrewery. If you're a real beer-head the decision isn't difficult, but for the rest of us it isn't that easy. The Hammacher Schlemmer Professional Microbrewery ($45,000) gives you everything you need to create anything from a refreshing lager, to a full-bodied stout. All you have to do is enter a recipe on the touch screen computer and the HERM takes over the rest of the process. The hot liquor tank circulates heated water to a mash/lauter tun which extracts water from your grain or mash. The liquid then goes to the boil kettle where it's converted into wort and then to the 14 gallon fermentation tank. All aspects of the brewing process are monitored and relayed to the computer, so you can just sit back and enjoy your creations.
If you're looking for a fresh pair of kicks in a great Spring/Summer colorway you need to check out the Adidas Skate Lucas Pro (Blue/Electricity) $80. The shoes feature a cool blue and neon colorway that are perfect for ushering in the warmer weather.
Every so often we scour the web and provide you with links to all the cool things we found. And as always, we give you a little something extra to get you through to Monday.
1. Mayweather VS Canelo - Showtime
2. The 25 Best Jukes in College Football History, in GIFs - Complex
3. 8 pumpkin beers you should drink this year - Cool Material
4. 7 Kinky Things She Loves But Won't Tell You - Ask Men
5. 10 Beers We're Cracking For NFL Opening Weekend - Food Republic
6. 7 Design Ideas for an Inspiring Home Office - My Life Scoop
7. Drink & Dish: Game Day Beer Punch - Foodie Misadventures
8. It's Almost Time To Throw Out Your Books - Tech Crunch
9. These Gaps Aren't Going To Mind Themselves - The Chive
10. Drone's Eye View Of Burning Man - Huffington Post
11. Moving time-lapse vid of One World Trade Center construction - CNET
12. Sort Your To-Do List By Emotion or Reward to Give Yourself Motivation - Life Hacker
Renowned Philadelphia design studio, The Heads of State, have put together an exclusive collection of city-specific t-shirts. Their Pilot & Captain Civic Tees ($32) are made from a soft poly-blend for that comfortable well-worn feel. Current locations included in the collection are New York, Boston, Paris, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Kingston, London, Los Angeles, Newark, Mexico City, Philadelphia (my home town), Portland, Tokyo, Toronto, and Zurich. More locations are soon to follow.